- Things to Do in the Belly of the Whale
- From Blossoms
- Wild Geese
- The Peace of Wild Things
- My Gift to You
- Departing Spring
- The Skylark
- What a Strange Thing!
- Although The Wind …
- The Old Pond
- Spring Is Like A Perhaps Hand
- Hast thou 2 loaves of bread …
- Youth and Age
- A Postcard From the Volcano
- The Kraken
- He wishes for the Cloths of Heaven
- There Is a Solitude of Space
- Because I Could Not Stop for Death
- Mad Song
- Answer July
- Success Is Counted Sweetest
- Hope Is the Thing with Feathers
- The Bluebird
- A Vision of the End
Measure the walls. Count the ribs. Notch the long days.
Look up for blue sky through the spout. Make small fires
with the broken hulls of fishing boats. Practice smoke signals.
Call old friends, and listen for echoes of distant voices.
Organize your calendar. Dream of the beach. Look each way
for the dim glow of light. Work on your reports. Review
each of your life’s ten million choices. Endure moments
of self-loathing. Find the evidence of those before you.
Destroy it. Try to be very quiet, and listen for the sound
of gears and moving water. Listen for the sound of your heart.
Be thankful that you are here, swallowed with all hope,
where you can rest and wait. Be nostalgic. Think of all
the things you did and could have done. Remember
treading water in the center of the still night sea, your toes
pointing again and again down, down into the black depths.
To read more poems, click here.